2/28/2012

Day 257: Yamaha RX-395 Receiver for 20$



A little while ago I bought a Yamaha RX-395 Receiver at a Garage Sale out of town. The receiver has is from 1997 and has a few visual and mechanic issues and I was able to get it for 20$, actually without knowing about its real value (which is not too far off).
The issues I am going to deal with during the coming days are:

Yamaha RX-395 rx 395 receiver
Yamaha RX-395 Receiver
1. The On/Off button is broken. It is lying loose in the inside of the receiver and it seems that some thin plastic strip broke away that was supposed to hold it. I will try to fix this issue. So far, I am not able to turn the receiver on and hope that it is really just the button..  I blindly believed the elderly man who sold it to me.
2. The receiver is full of dust and has many bad scratches. I think the former owners tried to open the RX-395 with a screwdriver at different spots. Some of the screws are quite tricky to find. Luckily, I figured out where they were located and did not continue to damage the receiver case. I am not sure what to do with some of the spots yet, as there is some 1-2 mm of metal looking up at some of them.
It is a bit hard to get information about the value of the RX-395. According to a past ebay auction, it sold for around 40$ + shipping. I hope to get around 30 to 35$ for it, in particular because of the visual flaws. In particular the issue with the On/Off button seems to be critical for the success of my little investment. Wish me good luck!

A short Review is on my Vintage Speaker Review Blog

More Pictures:
Yamaha RX-395 rx 395 receiver
Yamaha RX-395 Receiver
Yamaha RX-395 rx 395 receiver
Yamaha RX-395 Receiver

Yamaha RX-395 rx 395 receiver back
Back of Yamaha RX-395 ReceiO
Yamaha RX-395 rx 395 receiver back
Back of Yamaha RX-395 Receiver

No comments:

Post a Comment